Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Artist's Way - Week Two

"Tastes Wine Bar" painting
by Jennifer Mosquera

Week two of following Julia Cameron’s 12-week course outlined in her book The Artist’s Way was another busy week! I attended my first board meeting at the Denver Art Society, had drinks with artist and curator Jennifer Mosquera and Russell Wilbar at his artist reception at Tastes Wine Bar & Bistro in uptown Denver, saw a screening of Our City Dreams – a documentary about five female artists navigating the New York art scene, and had brunch with the Dana Cain – Denver’s event planning diva.

With my full dance card I didn’t find time to complete the suggested week two exercises, but I did manage to write my three morning pages each day and I scheduled a solo artist date with myself – a stroll through historic downtown Littleton on Saturday afternoon. So considering this past week was even busier than usual, completing two out of three Artist’s Way assignments isn’t bad, not bad at all.

What have I gained during these first two weeks following Julia Cameron’s course? For starters, I think writing three morning pages is making me better at time management. I’m more aware of what is on my to-do-list each day, including my three morning pages, and I’m finding that I am more present – more in the moment – as I move through my day and cross items off my to-do-list. The net result: the discipline I’m developing by reading a chapter a week, writing the three morning pages, and taking myself on a solo artist date actually seems to be making me more productive and aiding me in keeping the different aspects of my life in balance. I’m only two weeks into the 12-week course, but so far I’m grateful I decided to take the challenge and follow The Artist’s Way.

Photo originally posted online by the
American Academy of Pediatrics

In other news, I’m excited about the volunteer work I’ll be doing with the Denver Art Society as a member of the new event planning board. Founded two years ago by Sean McGowan, the goal of the Denver Art Society is to provide free art education to every child in Denver by the end of 2010. To do so, the board will be planning fundraising events throughout the year. First up: a screening of the art documentary Who Does She Think She Is? and a companion art show for women. My dream to bring this film to women artists in Denver is being realized and we’re supporting a worthwhile cause: ending artlessness! We’re shooting for a May screening and art show. Details to come…

To help end artlessness, please visit http://denverartsociety.com/ to sign up to be a volunteer or to make a monetary donation.

Our City Dreams movie poster
courtesy of filmmaker Chiara Clemente

Don’t waste your time renting the documentary Our City Dreams. While it was interesting to see the art work of five different female New York artists, I found the documentary lacking cohesion. Other than all five artists are women, not native to New York City, but all moved there to pursue their artistic endeavors, there is no other correlation between them. The independent film lacked so much organization of thought that I’m having difficulty describing it. Maybe you should see it and formulate your own opinion. To view the trailer visit http://firstrunfeatures.com/trailers_ourcitydreams.html

Check back next week as I work my way through week three of Julia Cameron’s The Artist’s Way, host the next meeting for the women’s writing group I am a member of at my apartment/art studio, and meet with not one, but two, prospective commissioned painting customers.

In the meantime, to see Jennifer Mosquera’s art please visit http://www.jennifermosquera.com/

To see Russell Wilbar’s art please visit http://sites.google.com/site/656arts/

Tastes Wine Bar has two locations: uptown at 1033 E. 17th Ave, Denver, CO 80218 and 4267 Tennyson St, Denver, CO 80212. Visit http://www.tasteswinebar.com/ to view their menu.

And you don’t want to miss Dana Cain’s events so visit http://www.danacain.com/ for details!

No comments:

Post a Comment